Email setup on an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
You can connect an iPhone, iPad or iPod to any type of mailbox. The precise method of connecting will depend upon the type of mailbox that you want to connect to.
Full details how to set up email on your IPhone can be found on the Apple website at: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1385
. While we are unable to offer direct support for third party products, the following process can be used as a guide to setting up email with an iPhone, iPad or iPod.
Standard and Advanced mailboxes
You can configure your IPhone to connect to your mailbox using IMAP.
From the Add Account
section, click Other
Tap Add Mail Account
You will be prompted to enter your mailbox details, in the text boxes provided enter the following:
- Name: Your name, or you could enter the name of your mailbox if you prefer.
- Address: Enter the email address of your new mailbox, email@example.com for example.
- Description: Your device will automatically populate this field with your address or you can add your own description of your mailbox.
Once you have entered all the information on this screen, click Save
. You will be prompted to enter some additional information. When prompted select the following: (using the same settings for both the incoming and outgoing mail server)
- Choose an IMAP account
- Host Name: mail.yourdomainname.com, replacing yourdomainname.com with your actual domain name.
- Username: Enter your email address, e.g firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: Enter the password you chose when you set up the mailbox with in your Fasthosts control panel.
Tap the Save
button. Your phone will now attempt to connect to your mail servers, this can take a couple of minutes to complete.
You may see an error advising you that a secure connection has failed. In these instances tap Continue
. You should now enter the account settings menu and disable the use of SSL.
Exchange 2010 mailboxes
For full Exchange functionality you should connect your iPhone to a Microsoft Exchange 2010 mailbox. You must also enable Outlook Anywhere
before your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch will be able to connect fully to your Exchange 2010 Mailbox
Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account > Microsoft Exchange.
On the next screen, enter the following details:
- Email: The email address of your Exchange Mailbox.
- Domain: Leave blank.
- Username: This will be the same as your new email address.
- Password: Enter the password you chose when you created your mailbox.
- Description: Enter a name for your new account. This can be anything that you want.
Select Next. The iPhone will attempt to automatically sync with our exchange server, however it will fail with an "Unable to Verify" error.
A new field will appear in the configuration named Server
- If your server name is CAS.EMAIL.LOCAL: Enter exchange2010.livemail.co.uk.
- If your server name is CAS.EMAIL2.LOCAL: Enter 2.exchange2010.livemail.co.uk.
Your iPhone will now connect to your new mailbox. Follow the onscreen instructions to decide what you would like to syncronise with your iPhone.
Sub-category: Setting up email on your mobile device
Last updated: 15th Oct 2012